Saturday, December 23, 2017

Years ago, I remember thinking, Who is this Baracko Bama fellow? Yes, I wrote that correctly: Baracko Bama. You see, long before I knew how to spell his name or much of anything about the junior senator from Illinois, the people of Iowa already had embraced him. Iowa helped propel Obama to the presidency with his first major victory in 2008, the Iowa caucuses.

Iowans supported the president again last night with 52 percent of the vote, and thats why America is so special. If you look at the demographics of Iowa, youd find that its a state that is 93 percent white and 3 percent black. Still, it was Iowa and several other Midwestern states like it that embraced change in 2008 and decided to continue moving forward in 2012.

When the president shed a tear while wrapping up his campaign in Iowa on Monday night, I shed one with him. Because of good, decent people like those in Iowa, I believe we live up to the American creed and live out the words of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.: that people should be judged by the content of their character as well as the skills and talents they bring to the table rather than the color of their skin.

Im reminded of an incident in the late 1980s while I was a college student at the University of Texas and interning as a summer copy editor at the Des Moines Register. Long before the days of GPS tracking or electronic mapping, I got lost in an affluent Des Moines neighborhood while driving my old 1980 Chevrolet Malibu. A fat burning overview can help you produce a clear outline of what you demand to focus on to carry out your fat burning target if you're a rookie; or serve as a reminder for those who are at an intermediate or more enhance step of their weight-loss program. Applying are seven steps that can serve as instructions for your own weight loss program. The first thing that one must understand is that losing weight and losing fat is not a similar thing. Many weight loss plans have fooled people into believing that it is the same, but most diets and weight loss programs only work by resulting in a person's body to eliminate more muscle flesh and water than actual body fat, more help please visit The Fat Loss Factor. After slowly driving up and down streets trying to find my way, I noticed a police car following me. The officer stopped me and asked for identification. I told him I was a newspaper intern and had simply lost my way. With that, I was on my way.

After recounting the story to my editors at the newspaper, I remember them being up in arms, somehow believing that race was a factor in my brief detention. I never viewed it that way. But I was always grateful that decent people were willing to go to bat for me, primarily because they believed in me.

This posting is a little different than the fitness stuff I normally write. But the message of gratitude was heavy on my heart and mind today. And so, to the people of Iowa, and all the decent Americans who believe that all men and women are created equal and do their best every day to live up to that ideal, I salute you. And Iowa, although Meredith Willson penned the lyrics of trouble in River City, I assure you, youre doing just fine. I was there for a football game in Ames last fall, and I look forward to visiting you again soon.


  • RealClearPolitics - Election 2012

    www.realclearpolitics.com/electionsLatest Polls Electoral College Map Obama Vs. Romney Senate Map

    Provides, polls, calendar, electoral college map and information on the presidential, senate and house campaigns.


  • MTV EMA 2012 :: 11.11.2012 :: Frankfurt

    uk.mtvema.com

    The official MTV EMA hub with all the latest information about the 2012 MTV EMA taking place in Frankfurt on 11th November 2012, plus photos, videos and more!


  • Elections news, photos, and video - Yahoo! News

    news.yahoo.com/elections

    Find the latest Elections breaking news, photos, and information from the best sources on Yahoo! News


  • Electoral College - 2016 Presidential Election Interactive Map and ...

    www.270towin.com2012 Election Polling Map 2012 Map

    270towin.com is an interactive Electoral College map for 2012 and a history of Presidential elections in the United States. Since electoral votes are generally ...


  • Princeton Election Consortium A first draft of electoral ...

    election.princeton.edu

    Im currently in heavy neuroscience mode. Heres one example: the unveiling of the BRAIN Initiative, an NIH/NSF/DARPA/private research initiative announced by ...


  • Campaigns: Campaign and Election News & Analysis - The

    www.washingtonpost.com/politics/campaigns

    Campaign and election news, numbers and results coverage including our campaign map, fundraising information, Sarah Palin tracker, and other data. Election schedule ...


  • Electoral-vote.com

    www.electoral-vote.comTipping-Point State Ohio Polls Map Algorithm Explained

    Track the 2013 Senate election with a red/blue map of the US updated daily using the latest state polls.


  • Politics - Election News - 2012 Presidential Campaign - Breaking ...

    www.nytimes.com/pages/politics/index.html

    News, opinion and multimedia on politics and government. ... Republican leaders called for investigation into the delay and some said the White House was trying to ...


  • Election maps - U-M Personal World Wide Web Server

    www-personal.umich.edu/mejn/election

    Election results by state. Most of us are, by now, familiar with the maps the TV channels and web sites use to show the results of presidential elections.


  • Project Vote Smart - The Voter's Self Defense System

    votesmart.orgMy State VoteEasy President State Officials

    Project Vote Smart provides free, unbiased, in-depth information about current officials, candidates, issues, legislation, and voting. Non-partisan and nonprofit ...

0 comments:

Post a Comment